Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Edward is 1 week old!

Happy One week Edward! wow this has been both the shortest and the longest week of my life.. if that makes any sense..lol anyway we had a pretty good day today. last night was the first night I (Misty) stayed at the ronald mcdonald house over night and man was it a struggle.. but i was proud of myself i only called to check on Edward twice and both times he was just fine. It is so hard for me to leave him even for something as important as sleep but I'm trying. anyway today started off pretty good we found out the results of Saturdays head x-ray and there is still no bleeding which is amazing :)! they also did an x-ray of his lungs and even though they are not great they are showing more volume. one of the crappy things that happened today was they had to fix Edwards breathing tube twice because it kept slipping which unfortunately because of his cleft lip and pallet is pretty hard to prevent. he also had his 3rd blood transfusion today which went OK and he is still off his blood pressure medicine. they also put in a PIC line which was a little upsetting to David and i because it was done by a student who blew 2 veins before the other doctor finally took over. David is going to talk to our case worker and find out if we have to let students work on Ed but it is a teaching hospital so I doubt we have any control. But back to the good things that happened today.. Edward got his Art line out which is a big deal! he also finally got to have some breast milk which made me cry and now i finally feel good when I'm pumping because I know he will be getting his nourishment's from me! They also told me that I might get to hold him but because he had gone through alot today they only let me pick him up but they think tomorrow i will actually get to hold him for real! wow today was exhausting! well anyway here are our prayer requests for today:
*Please pray for our emotions because we are feeling overwhelmed. me especially because they expect us to be here for around 6 months and so I really feel like I never going to be able to bring Edward home.
*that we will find a good church because that is something we really need right now.
well that's it for tonight we love you all!
~Misty
me "holding" him
alot less medicine!
feeding Edward his first milk
putting in the feeding tube
"oh dear"
no more art line!
hello!

not a happy camper!
i see you!
Edward getting his PIC line

5 comments:

  1. You don't know me, but a friend found your blog and sent me the link. We are both 24 weeks pregnant this week. Life is so precious. We are praying for your family. I can't imagine what you are going through, but know you have people who are lifiting you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Misty! You are doing a great job! I am feeling your joy over the breast milk as a mother of 4 children that I nursed. We are praying for you and the Edward and the whole family. I know not the exact situation but I have a with cancer and know how hard it can be to watch all the he is going through. Glad you are using breast milk, check with them on the risks on using formula, they may insist you use it but it can be very risky, God made premature breast milk special for early babies needs. Also, are they supportive of Kangaroo Care there? Ask them about that, they may not start it this early. If you ever get bored you can check out my blog too. I will be praying for you here with my mother heart. God will give you strength and use you mightily with the staff!

    In Him,

    tonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a CHILD with cancer, sorry I wrote so bad today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello misty. my name is shauna and i wanted to tell you that you are doing a great job in being so strong even though i bet that you just want to breakdown sometimes. i read your blogs and i started crying! i was wondering what hospital you are at because if it's a military hospital, you have the right to ask for someone else to do the procedures. if you don't feel comfortable, just ask for their supervisor or someone who isn't a student. just remember that you always have that right. but you and your family will be in our prayers. edward is a little fighter, i see it in the pictures, everything is going to turn out for the better! have a happy and blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for a picc line and no more UAC or UVC lines. :) Sorry the student blew 2 of the veins. I know it can stink to let students try procedures first. However, it can be very common that a doctor is unable to get a picc or IV line the first time-even those that have had lots and lots of experience putting them in. Just a thought.

    By the way, UCH (is that what they call the hospital there) uses the same IV pumps that I've used at my last two jobs.

    Praying for you today! Lots of love to you, David, and my boy!

    PS: I'll ask Heidi and my friend Jon if they know of good churches there in Denver. I know of one in Red Rocks that you might be interested in. It's alot of young people. P. Shawn Johnson (David will remember him) is the pastor there.

    ReplyDelete